Life is hard, and I don’t pretend it’s easy. Living with mental illness is even harder, and I share my experience so that others might understand they are not alone.
My writing can be found Scary Mommy, The Huffington Post, Huffington Post -Canada / Russia / Germany / France, Today Parents, Blunt Moms, and many others websites and publications.
In 2013, I battled a severe bout of postpartum depression, anxiety, and agoraphobia; which made it impossible for me to remain connected with the outside world of support. So, I started writing, and I haven’t stopped since.
In May of 2013, I “came out” about my personal recovery in a post titled I Got Sober Today. The post received an incredible response, and alerted me to the need for a supportive, judgment-free community for moms in and contemplating recovery. I founded sobermommies.com.
I enjoy public speaking, writing (obviously), and knitting funky scarves for my friends.
Previous Speaking Engagements:
- “Recovery, Heartbreak, and Hope”: DMH, Children’s Behavioral Health Knowledge Center Symposium and Gailanne Reeh Lecture
- Parenting in Recovery: SAMHSA/BRSS TACS Webinar
- The Doctors – Should Addicts Be Sterilized?
- Event Speaker: Massachusetts Advocates, Children’s Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative
- She Recovers NYC – Sober Blogger Team – Live Broadcasts
- Recovery Today – Breaking The Recovery Mold – Interview w/ Sherry Gaba
Listen to the interview: